Monday, October 16, 2006

Baby C

The Final Countdown….

I’m beginning week 40 of my pregnancy and things are moving right along. I've had quite a trip over the last 9 plus months of pregnancy- all the typical feelings, emotions, aches, pains, questions and now just mere anticipation of Baby C's big debut! I won't write about all my aches and pains or even the emotional rollercoaster I've been on because you've either experienced the rollercoaster firsthand or watched your wife ride it and who wants to read about someone else's aches and pains, really?

I've had a few baby showers, all unique. One was a tea that a couple of Mom's friends in Tulsa, OK (Joyce Kaiser and Susan Grober) threw for me. It was a lovely event that took place in early July when I came for a visit. The second shower was in mid September- a surprise shower that the International Paper Global Sourcing group (of which I'm a part) organized. I was COMPLETELY clueless! I don't think I've EVER figured out a surprise party or event that anyone's ever done for me until I actually walked into the room and the people yelled, "SURPRISE"! Oh my. It was a lot of fun- the company, food, generous gifts and mere element of surprise made it a memorable experience for sure. The last shower was the most unique one I've ever attended for reasons I'll explain. Friday night, Trey and I got a phone call from our friend Bonnie Butler in Franklin, VA. She said that she'd sent us a package that we'd “get a kick out of” and we should be receiving it the following day. We happened to be home Saturday afternoon when Trey met the mailman in the driveway to sign for the package (Trey was pretty excited about it, needless to say) and what a package! Taped to the top of it was an envelope with "Send a Shower" written on it. We opened the envelope and inside were instructions all our wonderful friends at our church in Franklin had created for "How to throw a shower in a box". There were steps 1-20 and they included: Trey pinning on me a handmade corsage of colorful baby socks, rattles...., blowing up about ten balloons, setting out party favors and refreshments they'd sent (Kool-Aid Singles, Junior Mints, Party Mix nuts....) and a few baby shower games they included…all in this “Send a Shower” in the box! Too much!! Once all of that was set out it was on to the gift opening. Trey and I had such a blast at our shower (though we were the only ones in attendance- I know, we're dorks). We took tons of pictures with the throw-away camera they sent us, of which we'll send them copies. We also got to use our great new digital camera and we even took movies with our VIDEO CAMERA- yay! We finally got these in the last couple of weeks thanks to Mom, Dad and George's generous birthday and anniversary contributions! We had so much fun and received some adorable and useful goodies for the baby.

The nursery is all ready! The walls were painted yellow with love by Daddy Trey with bead board he installed himself. He made a darling shelf and painted it to hold all my classic children's toys such as Raggedy Ann and Andy (handmade by my neighbor in Raleigh, NC when I was but 2 years old), Kermit the Frog (my favorite), numerous Beatrix Potter characters, Babarr's friend, Arthur, Paddington Bear, Trey's personal favorite- his Sock Monkey and many more.

We stripped and repainted a piece out of my collection of childhood furniture, which also belonged to my mom as a little girl. Anyone that knows me knows I am extremely sentimental- maybe to a fault- but, hey, I could have worse faults! ;) Our little girl will be the third generation to enjoy this heirloom. I hand painted knobs for this piece (and light switch plates) to match the colors in the room and it's Trey's and my masterpiece for our little one. Carefully placed on the shelves of this piece are all my Mme Alexander dolls that Mom and the Romeisers gave me through the years. I had them on these shelves in my room growing up and I hope that our little girl will love them as much as I have….just as long as she doesn’t touch them! Heehee! The room is filled with the most darling Roman shade, exquisite crib skirt, precious bumper pads, beautiful quilt.....thanks to Mom's dear friend, Joyce Kaiser. She is an amazing seamstress and interior decorator. What a blessing. I also have displayed a very special item- the most wonderful quilt that my Aunt Carole made for me herself when I was born. It has a scene from the Wizard of Oz stitched on it and Mom had kept it in mint condition over the last 28 years. Now all we need is Baby C and the room will be complete.

On the workfront, today or tomorrow will be my last day as Mom arrives on Wednesday, Oct. 18th....just 5 days prior to Baby C's official due date (October 23, 2006). I probably need to start weaning myself off work so I can focus on the baby's arrival, being a mom and getting into that frame of mind. I feel like the baby won't make an appearance until later next week but it's probably just a feeling and at least Mom will already be here for the big event. Trey and I have gotten such a kick out of her comments relating to the Dr.'s reports on my progress. Whenever we tell her that I'm making any progress in that department (ex. effacement, dilation....) she makes classic comments like, "I don't like the sound of that", "Oh goodness- should I start packing my bags?” or "I think I'd just feel better if nothing was happening".....what a mess- gotta love her! :) Trey and I are so grateful for her coming to stay for a few weeks as we know she'll be an enormous help with the home, the baby and in keeping me company while Trey is at work. Poor Trey has been doing much of the grocery shopping, making dinner, straightening up the house, running errands.... over the last month as it's all I can do just to get up and drag myself into work each day. This wouldn't be so tough for him if he wasn't also trying to juggle a challenging (in a good way) job, a hour and a half commute each day, finishing up another college degree and dealing with a pregnant wife and all the projects that come along with it! ;)

It's been an interesting past year at our home. As many of you know my precious little brother George was living with us from late July '05 until July '06. We had so much fun! It was such a blessing because I hadn't had the opportunity to spend that much time with him since we were both at home in Nashville and even then we were both so busy with school, sports and other extra curricular activities after school, friends in the evenings and on the weekends… that we didn't get to spend as much concentrated time together as we did last year. It was an incredibly special time, one that I'll never forget and always reflect upon and smile. He is SUCH a mess! He’s such a typical little brother in so many ways (likes to aggravate me, wrestle with me, challenge my views, opinions.....) BUT for the first time we were able to just hang-out and enjoy each other's company without much else going on. We spent many evenings on the back deck, enjoying my wooded backyard and nature, a fire burning in the chiminea, the doggies playing outside, listening to music and just working out life's problems. We went on many hikes and trekked through the creek behind our house with the doggies…it was such a special season in our lives. In the meantime, poor Trey was in the basement (our computer's down there) working on homework and studying so George was a real life saver for him as he'd keep me laughing and entertained for hours on end. Now that George has gone to Korea, Trey is left with the responsibility of keeping me entertained at all times- it's a pretty big responsibility but he's doing a great job! ;) George even made a Bengal's football fan out of me! That's remarkable considering I've NEVER enjoyed watching football- even as a football cheerleader throughout highschool AND attending UTK! Ha! It's been kind of sad watching the games without him this season, all by my lonesome. I am saddened, as is he, by the fact that "Uncle George" won't be here to welcome his little niece into this world because I know what a huge influence he's going to be on her life and how much she'll adore her Uncle George. As he's acknowledged before, he's had a good role model in his own uncle, Uncle John, Mom's big brother.

Last night I told Trey that we only have a couple more days of just the two of us as Mom will join us Wednesday and then our little bundle of joy will be joining us soon after. We've been preparing the "big sisters", aka Sadie and Esther, that in just a few more days they'll be big sisters and going over their roles and responsibilities. As a big sister, myself, I feel I have a few words of wisdom to share with them. ;) We've bought them some gourmet doggy treats with which we'll present them as “big sister” gifts when the baby comes home. We don't want them to feel left out. Lindsay Rosa, a college friend and sorority sister, made sure I'd thought of the "girls". She knows Sadie and Esther well as went with me to adopt them from the Knoxville, TN "pound" when we were Seniors in college. She helped me raise them the first year or so. ;)

I'll post some pix of the room, showers, etc. on this blog shortly…..once I figure out how to do it. By the way, THANK YOU George for creating this blog for us as I’m new at all this.

Love to you all!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is going to be GREAT! And, hey, when I am over 700+ miles away form the location my first grandchild will be born any movement in the ready-to-be-born department (i.e. the Dr.'s reports) is going to conern me, okay?? Once I am there...she can come anytime! ;)

The Expat said...

Mom is classic. Well, thanks for the kind words. Last year was a great time, maybe my favortie year yet. I'm glad you've got this going and if you need any help, just ask. I love ya sis and enjoy your last few days living with Trey and the three girls. Tell Susan I said Hello. "Where's George?"

Anonymous said...

George,

I'm surprised that you didn't comment on this entry's title. It was meant to be a tribute to you and Gob. You better have that song on your I-Pod.:)

Zana said...

Kristin and Trey,

Good luck with the baby! I'm due today with a baby girl myself, but no sign of her yet. I set up one of these blogs for our first baby, JP- it's been a great way to keep friends and family updated. If you're interested it's www.eastcoastbaby.blogspot.com

Take care and good luck!

Suzanne (Minier) Nolte

Anonymous said...

Hello Kristin and Trey,
Golly, here I am in your very first blog! I am truly honored. Thank you for such kind words. I got very nervous about not being able to nose in on the family, but with the help from your mom, (persistence is a better word) we made it work. Now you are in my 'favorites' and so is 'Free My Seoul'. I'm on a roll! Can't wait to read and see what's going on up there in Big C. You know you are taking my best friend away. No more Camille's for a while. I'm sending you my best thoughts and wishes for an easy delivery of Baby C. I know you and Harriet are going to have such a wonderful and blessed time. Yes, Trey, and you, too. You are in on this also. My love to you all. Joyce

The Expat said...

After I wrote my comment I thought about going back and mentioning it. I can't wait to watch that with you when I return.

Anonymous said...

Love the content of this new family blog but not sure about the hot pink text. Guess I'll get used to it.

Anonymous said...

Oncle John- talk to "Uncle George" about the text- he set it up! ;) As soon as I have some time to learn how this works, I'll change it to something a BIT more subtle.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I figured it was George's "influence." When are you going to write something more?